CBLTSC is named Bucks Club of the Year 2019
Success for Chesham Bois LTSC with Bucks British Tennis Awards 2019
The Bucks Tennis Forum was a great night for Chesham Bois Lawn Tennis & Squash Club when the Chair Karen Flanagan was presented with the Bucks LTA Tennis Award for Club of the Year 2019 by Rosemary Badman, President of Bucks LTA at Aylesbury College on Tuesday 10th March 2020.
Left to Right: Karen Flanagan Chairman Chesham Bois Lawn Tennis & Squash Club (with certificate), Rosemary Badman President of Bucks LTA, Ann Witter Membership Secretary CBLTSC and Debbie Maurantonio Vice Chair Finance CBLTSC.
This award, which recognises contributions to grassroots tennis was one of 70 outstanding individuals and venues across Great Britain named as regional winners from 1,500 nominations in 10 categories.
Launched in 2015, the LTA Tennis Awards celebrate the thousands of individuals involved in tennis – from the 25,000 volunteers, to the 4,400 coaches and 940 officials. They also highlight the incredible achievements of 20,000 schools, 2,700 clubs and over 9,700 LTA approved tournaments in helping to grow the sport.
Alex Beaumont, LTA Volunteering Manager said: “Every year we’re blown away by the standard of the applications and the phenomenal achievements they demonstrate in helping to grow the sport. The LTA Tennis Awards are an excellent way for us to say thank you to everyone and celebrate that progress.”
The nominations received are all considered by the County’s sub-committee and Chesham Bois can be grateful to Debbie Maurantonio whose excellent submission is summarised below. Chesham Bois was selected as the clear winner of the Bucks Club of the Year 2019.
The achievements of the club in 2019
1) Resurfaced the last court on the list – so now have 3 different playing surfaces
2) Offered competitive tennis to all our members – regardless of ability
3) Well run & structured junior programme
4) Our ladies 2nd team was promoted to premier – so we will have 2 teams in premier in 2020.
What the club has done in 2019 that has opened up tennis to new players and made it welcoming and accessible?
1) Introduced doubles box league so social play pairs & team players can have some fun doubles competition
2) Joined new day time leagues to give rusty rackets & most often less confident people the chance of competitive play
3) Held a deaf tournament to encourage all abilities to play together
4) Outreach programme links with all the local schools, making tennis fun & showing that it can be affordable.
The Club has shown a creative approach in innovation and the use of technology;
1) Transformed accounting systems which enables better reporting & transparency on which areas need more support
2) Introduction of doubles box leagues
Chesham Bois is a warm & family friendly club with the best facilities in the area. No one is excluded, we keep our subscriptions across the board competitive; and we have 3 working committees (Club/Tennis & Squash) who run the club who are all volunteers & it has always been that way. This keeps our “club” feel.